What is the SPS Sedation Provider Course® you ask?
Since its inception in 2008, the SPS Sedation Provider Course® has been well received by student learners in over 16 states. Our simulation-based sedation provider course is aimed at improving sedation knowledge and core competencies to promote safe and effective procedural sedation to children. The course is designed to meet the needs of both experienced and novice sedation providers using cognitive (didactic) and psychomotor (simulation) based education modalities. To create the best possible learning environment and afford each participant maximum hands-on SIM experience, the course size is limited to 24 participants.
Beginning in 2016, the SPS Provider Course Committee embarked on a complete revision of the course. The syllabus content was updated to reflect current sedative pharmacology as well as the breadth of provider teams. State of the art e-learning modules that are designed to test learners’ critical thinking skills have replaced online power point presentations. The SIM-based scenarios have also been completely overhauled to allow participants to select sedative agents and experience team dynamics that accurately reflect their day-to-day experience.
- Didactic Content: We have transitioned the fundamental knowledge delivery previously accomplished through the syllabus, didactic lectures and pre-course videos to an online syllabus and interactive e-learning modules utilizing up-to-date educational technology. The domains of pediatric procedural sedation include pre-sedation assessment, sedative drug pharmacology, patient monitoring, management of sedation-related adverse events, and patient recovery and discharge.
- Adverse Event Management and Team Communication: Simulation is the perfect way to prepare for high-stakes, low-frequency events and to build muscle memory for quicker reaction time in the clinical setting. In order to make the hands-on simulation time the core focus of the course day, we have revised all our simulation scenarios for the various size mannequins available with three simulation companies (Laerdal Medical©, CAE©, and Gaumard®).
- Debriefing: In order to maximize the learning environment, we have developed debriefing training for our core faculty.
Want to get involved? Join the PC Committee.
- SPS Annual Meeting Pre-course, Denver, CO, Sunday, May 19, 2019
- American Academy of Pediatrics Annual Pediatric Hospital Medicine Conference Pre-course, Seattle, WA, Wednesday, July 24, 2019
- American Academy of Pediatrics Annual Pediatric Hospital Medicine Fellows Conference Pre-course, Salt Lake City, UT, Friday, September 13 and Saturday, September 14, 2019 (PHM Fellows Only)